The Sustainable Produce Container replaces plastic clamshells!
In The News!
FOX19: Local Entrepreneur's Container Makes it to the Super Bowl
Perishable News: Little Kentucky Farmer's Box Helps Green Up the Super Bowl
WKRC TV12: Local Farmer Designs System to Replace Plastic Products
Public Radio: Farmer Creates Eco-Friendly Packaging Fruits & Vegetables
Organic Produce Network: Alternative to Plastic Produce Containers Emerges from Small Midwest Farm
Fresh Plaza: Landwirtin kreiert umweltfreundliche Verpackung
KY Department of Agriculture: A Better Box
PLEASE CALL US DIRECTLY TO PLACE YOUR ORDER & FOR BEST SHIPPING: 859-630-2694
Want more business from the growing trend towards sustainability? Or how about more profit from your produce by introducing it in a better box? Package your produce professionally AND sustainably with this vented container from Sun Sugar Farms. Our Sustainable Produce Container is the perfect replacement for plastic clamshells and can carry all kinds of produce:
Cherry tomatoes, strawberries, blackberries, raspberries, mushrooms, peppers, apricots, cherries, gauva, snap peas, green beans, dates, figs, dates, kiwi, Campari tomatoes, heirloom tomatoes, taramind pods, cucamelons, brussel sprouts, etc, etc, etc!
Made from easy to recycle paperboard, these containers are rigid enough to stack high and protect your produce yet they'll biodegrade in a backyard compost. The earth-themed cut-outs allow good visibility from all angles and encourage air in and around the produce. The vents also help to minimize condensation from temperature transitions and preserve the freshness of the product. Plus, in high volumes, our package can even compete on price with plastic and we have forming machines to assemble the containers.
If you're an organic farmer or sustainable greenhouse grower, now especially is the time to have your package match your product. Be good to the earth and get ahead of the curve with the Sustainable Produce Container.
"We needed eco-friendly packaging for the Super Bowl 2020 Live! event that could handle the various temperatures and humidity in Miami. We loved the Sustainable Produce Container for our fresh strawberries and cherry tomatoes. Our customers loved the convenience of the lid and that they could recycle the package!" Michael Huter, Taste of Redland Farmer
- Professional-looking vented container
- Alternative to plastic clamshells that most recycling centers will not take
- Quart holds 1.5 pounds of cherry tomatoes, 1 quart of strawberries, guava, dates, kiwis, mushrooms
- Low Profile Pint holds cherry or campari tomatoes, blackberries, raspberries, angelcots, figs, cherry plums, handmade soaps
- Half Pint holds blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, cucamelons
- Made from natural color Kraftpack or Coated Unbleached paperboard
- Rigid enough to stack multiple containers or other items on top of the containers, great for CSA deliveries
- Earth-themed cut out vents allow good visibility from all sides (sun, rain, plants/flowers, wind, moon, heavens, earthworms/dirt)
- Vents allow airflow, minimizes condensation
- Fits all master cartons
- Holds up well during temperature transitions from field to refrigerator
- Hinged lid has locking straight tab on front and moon-shaped locks on sides or slide-in tabs, 2 Quart version features tamper-proof anchor lock or tuck in lid
- Room on top side for a sticker up to 3”x4” or wrap a label over the lid edge
- Half-pint is single motion auto-bottom box, Pint and Quart are 4 step box assembly, 1 to 3 step locking process (our packers apply labels and fold the boxes at the same time and average 100 boxes/minute, they are paid $0.10/box vs per hour)
- Optional automated assembly options include a low cost jig for pint and quart, a fully automated folding machine for around $45k for auto-bottom half pint (45/min) and the 2 Quart can be machine assembled at the rate of approximately 100 containers/minute.
- All are easily recycled, the full Kraft containers are compostable and will easily biodegrade
- Competes on price with plastic clamshells for quantities of 2 million or more.
- Printing is available for quantities 50,000 and above to eliminate unrecyclable labels
- Ship flat
- Made in the USA
- Patent-pending US 62/710,915
- Click here for flier: FLIER
- Less waste
- Happier customers
- A better world
"Our profits actually increased when we stopped packaging our cherry tomatoes in a quart size plastic clamshell and switched to the cardboard Low Profile Pint. Customers at Kroger were actually thanking me and saying they'd pay extra for the packaging when I would deliver my produce." Linda Fritz, Sun Sugar Farms
I developed these eco-friendly containers to hold my sun sugar cherry tomatoes because expensive pulp berry containers lacked lids and plastic clamshells could not be recycled. Although most plastic companies' containers say "100% recyclable", most consumers can’t recycle them since no recycling centers in the USA will take them!
It's easy for plastic companies to greenwash consumers because water bottles - which are also a #1 PETE - can be recycled. The difference is water bottles are formed by injection molding so they melt at a different temperature, and they don't have strong adhesive labels like produce clamshells do. This makes water bottles recyclable and desirable and produce clamshells, well, just trash headed for a landfill.
What's the big deal though? It's just a few pieces of plastic! Consider this: if you took the plastic containers that just strawberries come in, each year, and lined them up on Interstate 80, you'd have enough clamshells to cover that four lane higway from New York to California. And back. Or enough clamshells to fill the 2020 Super Bowl stadium. 3 times.
And that's just for strawberries.
Here's a great video by KCET that explains the problem:
This doesn’t seem fair to repay the earth for its bounty with a chemical cocktail it can do nothing with. So I did something. My Sustainable Produce Containers are easy to recycle, can handle almost all produce, and in high volume can compete with plastic on price. Isn't it time for a change? Tell your grocer or grower you want them to change over because they honestly don't think you want anything other than a clear view of every bit of the produce, by voicing your opinion you can make a difference, too!
Linda Fritz, Owner Sun Sugar Farms
You've come to the right place if you're looking for truly eco-friendly packaging, biodegradable vegetable packaging, compostable boxes, pint cardboard tomatoes boxes and flats, sustainable produce trays, pint and quart produce containers, a strawberry container that's compostable, a raspberry container that doesn't need the produce preservation absorption pad, something cheaper than wooden vegetable pints and quarts, wholesale produce boxes and how to buy or sell berries without plastic. The Sustainable Produce Container is your answer: it is basically a compostable clamshell, a paper produce container, a better than pulp berry basket wholesale because it has a lid and better than waxed produce boxes because they can't be consumer recycled. We may not have all the farm supplies you need but for fresh organic wholesale produce why would you ever use anything other than the Sustainable Produce Container?